Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Good morning Starshine

There was a song back in the '70s that started out with that line followed by "the Earth says hello". I thought it was a great way to open my first note to the team. Good morning to all of you.

I hope each of you is as excited as Harlan and me about the whiteboard concept. I work in a virtual environment regularly and the ability to share thoughts and ideas in this manner helps tremendously.

So what thoughts do I have to share with everyone today? As many of you are aware, I semi-regularly write about gardening. There are many topics that tie back to sustainability from xeriscaping to mulch products to chemical and pesticide use. How about clothing made from hemp that keeps a person just as cool as cotton and, my understanding, that it is infinitely easier to grow and process? It's not just for smokin' anymore - another throw back to the 70s.

Watching the news over the last couple of days there have been reports of recent whale deaths -one in England and two in a month on the east coast of Florida. What is the cause? Is it global warming, is it encroachment from oil mining in the states, is it chemical/pesticide related?

And, finally, how about our pets? What shampoo products do folks use and how safe are they for our pets and the environment? Do they have a warning label that refers to not getting it in your eyes? After the bath, does your pet want to scratch as if he is trying to get something off of his skin? Also, what types of treats do you give your pet and from what ingredients are they made? Are Greenies safe and are they really easy for pets to digest? How safe are those plastic-looking bone products dogs supposedly love?

Lots of food for thought, so to speak, to hopefully get your creative juices flowing. Harlan says I'm always full of ideas, at least I think that's what he means... Anyway,I'll leave you with "our early morning singing song." Have a great day everyone and we'll be looking for your thoughts and ideas posted here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nidhi Kaushik said...

Hi Nancy,

Good morning and I do feel bad about the whale. The whale's last resting place will be at the Natural History Museum and at the rate at which we are going I feel that soon we will be able to see most of the animals in a museum only.

The reasons for the whale ending up in Thames are quite a few and the concerned people are playing the blame game pretty well. Tory MEP Struan Stevenson said he believed Whaley had been disorientated by sonar from Royal Navy vessels.

North Thanet MP Roger Gale laid blame for Whaley's disorientation on a series of test explosions last week at Shoeburyness, Essex, conducted by private defence contractors QuinetiQ

Its a pity that instead of everybody taking resposibility and doing something about it, they all are busy argueing.

Anyways, the whale has definitely given a boost to the Antiwhaling campaign for some time.

Changing the topic, I am really looking forward to meeting the team and have discussions and virtual meetings too.

Way to go Greener!!
Nidhi

5:56 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks Nidhi and so glad you commented. I had heard about the sonar excuse regarding the whale, but somehow I just don't buy it. There has got to be more. Maybe this needs to be a topic for the magazine - I agree and I also fear we will see many animals only in museums. Look at what is happening with polar bears right now. What's next?

Talk with you soon. Nancy

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home